Hello! I hope you’re all doing really well as Lent gets underway and Easter approaches. You may have noticed things look a little different: that’s because we’ve refreshed our branding. We hope you like it! Read on for some highlights from the last few months, as well as an update on our financial situation and an invitation to further support Just Love. As I say each time, thank you for your continued support of our movement.
It’s a big time of change for our 23 student groups throughout the UK. They have either finished or are currently completing “handover”: the old committee identifies and trains up a new set of students to run Just Love at their university. The new 5–9 students will be responsible for galvanising Christians in their city to pursue Jesus and His justice. And we’re really excited to gather all these new committee members for Just Love Easter Training: 2–3 days of training for students regionally, in Edinburgh, Manchester, and London. This training, in-person for the first time since 2019, will prepare students to run effective, Jesus-focused Just Love groups for the next 12 months. We’ve seen before how transformative these events can be for students, and we’re excited for the impact they will have again this year!
The graduating Just Love students groups have been busy in their final few months on Just Love committee. Here are a few highlights:
- JL Birmingham gathered around 50 students for their “Mental Health and Christianity” event at the start of March.
- JL Bristol partnered with Restored in running a two-day conference exploring domestic abuse.
- JL Warwick are covering the distance between Coventry and Afghanistan (e.g., by running, cycling, swimming) to raise money for Tearfund’s Afghanistan Crisis Appeal.
- A small group of JL Cambridge students are teaching English to asylum seekers/refugees on a regular basis.
- JL Aberdeen hosted a lunchtime event with Professor John Swinton on “Disability and Theology.”
It’s been a quieter few months for our alumni network, as we begin planning for our November 2022 conference. On a careers front, the Science & Technology and the Business spheres co-ran an event titled “Purposeful Profit: How to Be Part of Ethical Work Culture.” And Sixes Series 3 is well underway, on the theme of Generosity. Why not have a look at our interview with Ruth Padilla DeBorst on the topic of hospitality! It was such a privilege to interview Ruth on her topic of expertise. Give it a watch and get a feel for the content we’re providing for our graduates.
Funding Situation and Invitation
Here’s where we are financially. We had really hoped to increase our regular giving substantially more than we have been able to so far this academic year. On the other hand, we’re doing really well with one-off donations, and have been generously supported by a few grant-making trusts. As we recruit for the next academic year, we’d love to increase our regular giving so that we can sustainably grow our staff team again. We would love to provide more and better support to our 23 student groups. We’d love to grow to new cities and new universities. We’d love to increase and improve the support we provide our graduates as they pursue justice in their communities, careers, and lifestyles. In all this, we believe more justice will be done for the most disadvantaged.
Would you consider helping us in either of the following two ways:
- Increase your regular giving. We’d like to invite you to consider a small increase to your regular donation. Around 200 of you are receiving this update, and if each person increased their giving by £5 a month, Just Love would gain £12,000 extra per year. That would make such a big difference to our finances! In fact, it would pay for over half the time of a staff worker working directly with students! If you’re in a position to consider this, our giving webpage is here (further info below*).
- Invite your contacts to our upcoming fundraisers. On 22nd April we’re running a fundraiser in London. Can you think of anyone who might be interested in finding out more about Just Love? We’d love you to invite them and/or come along yourself if in the area! We’re also running fundraisers soon in Sheffield, Oxford, and Edinburgh. Please email Joel at [email protected] if you can think of anyone in these cities who might enjoy hearing about our vision.
We are so grateful for all the ways that you’ve supported Just Love. Thank you!
*You can also give via Stewardship or directly to our bank account:
Name: JUST LOVE R/C 1167174
Account Number: 65814312
Sort Code: 089299